Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A Little time for Reflection

As the days run along here, I'm constantly reminded of how short life really is. Living here in Thailand has taught me many things. Some good and some bad. Learning the language has been a challenge, but has been very rewarding. Doing odd jobs around the city for a little food and money has gained me many friends and some that have become like brothers. I have been accepted into more homes and families than I could have possibly imagined. I won't make any bones about it. Life here is rough, and it just gets rougher as time goes on. On one hand, this place is like paradise. On the other, it's still a third world country. Poverty and hardship still reign supreme, but the people are absolutely amazing. Most would give you the shirt off their backs if they thought you needed it, and quite frankly a few have. Somebody is always giving me something when I'm down and out. No matter how big or small. Some days it may be just sharing a bag of "sticky rice" or a piece of fruit. The next day it might be a gift of a shirt that no longer fits and gets passed along to me. When I have a little, I share with those who have helped me and even a few strangers. It always comes back ten-fold. That is the Buddhist way. Christ taught the same thing and oddly enough I remember the scripture.

Luke 6:38

"Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

The people here practice this philosophy to the tenth power and truly live by these principles. I feel truly blessed to be among such wonderful people despite the hardships I face.

That's all for now. I'm gonna catch a little sleep and start all over again in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment