Saturday, October 8, 2011

Getting Organized (Updated)

Today when I was doing some writing, I had the sneaking suspicion I had already written it. Maybe not fully, but at least in some part I had put this little portion down into words once already. Today's writing project detailed a little adventure I had while slipping into and out of the country of Laos back in 2009. I knew for a fact that I had written something on this, but where was it? Over the past couple years, I have always taken extra steps to make duplicate digital copies of most everything I had written on some sort of storage device somewhere. I checked the folders here on my PC and scanned both my little flash drives to no avail. I even searched through my old blog entries and drafts online, but came up empty handed. It was then that I remember that sometimes I stored stuff in my Yahoo mail account. I browsed through the files there in my Yahoo notepad, and then remembered "ZUMODRIVE!!!!" It's an online file storage system that Yahoo offers as an add-on to it's mail service. Sometimes it can be a little buggy with service outages, but it had never let me down completely. So, I logged in and BINGO!! There was a whole batch of files that I had stashed away over two years ago! A real treasure trove and a bit of time capsule. I found my Lao article and a few other little goodies that I had forgotten about. So, before I go too much further I will probably spend the rest of the day downloading copies of all that stuff and compiling a proper synchronized backup of all my files and distribute them back out accordingly before I end up with a true disaster one of these days. This little project of mine here has about 200,000 written words of text alone in finished manuscript, notes, articles and outlines. I also have about 2,000 individual photographs as well that probably ought to be backed up synchronized and organized. Keep in mind these are currently spread out over 5 different storage devices, and all contain different things. Should be a fun little project for the afternoon. Wish me luck.

UPDATE: I finally got all the information off of my old ZumoDrive account through Yahoo, and I will say that I no longer recommend the ZumoDrive service. Yes, it is a freebie, but the service is certainly lacking when many other others have much more to offer. A full report will be coming soon complete with some up to date recommendations regarding similar services that actually work and work well.

No comments:

Post a Comment