Sunday, November 15, 2009

Bugs not Drugs

We are now headlong into what the locals call the "cool season". Granted, by "cool" they mean under 100 degrees Fahrenheit. It's not much under 100, but it is under nonetheless. Along with the cooler weather comes the onslaught of mosquitoes. I am practically living next door to the rather sluggish Mae Ping river, and the city center here still has a standing moat from the 13th century. The end result is alot of water sitting around and a heyday for the mosquito population. This week alone, I've been hit between 75 and 100 times. I've been working evenings at a local outdoor tourist restaurant and pub. Unfortunately, my work hours are peak feeding time for the little bloodsuckers. I started getting a little spooked yesterday when I began coming down with some cold symptoms. It's been over 24 hours now, and I'm pretty sure it's just a common cold and not some kind of funky jungle virus.

Early this week, I'll once again be braving the Thai bus system to scout a potential job and slightly better living quarters. I'm not really at liberty to discuss the details yet, but if it works out I will be much better off than I am now. With a little luck, I may even be able to afford a few luxury items like bug spray, cold medicine, and a haircut.

No comments:

Post a Comment