Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Christmas with Buddha and Allah

The holiday season has always had a way of sneaking up on me, and this year is definitely no exception to the rule. In fact, it has been the sneakiest to date. Christmas has taken a bit of a hold here, but primarily for the sake of tourists. I've seen a few small Christmas trees around the city, and one very large one in the big shopping mall here. Other than that, it's nearly impossible to remember that it is only a few days away. Last night, before work, I had dinner with a friend of mine. The little Thai restaurant down the street is one of our regular haunts. Cheap food and a free pool table in the back make it a very inexpensive outing. As we were finishing dinner and headed to the back for a game of pool, the manager put a Christmas CD on the house sound system. It was a very strange and surreal experience as the music ran through the place. My head was practically spinning as the memories (both good and bad) raced through my mind. My friend was having a bit of the same experience. This is his third holiday season here, and it prompted some interesting conversation about years gone by.

Thailand is about 94% Buddhist, 5% Muslim, and less than 1% Christian. It's practically impossible to throw a rock anywhere in this city without hitting a Buddhist temple or monastery. Monks in their bare feet and orange saffron robes are a regular daily sight on the city streets. I've had the chance to meet and talk with many of the locals about religion, philosophy, and history. Many of the preconceived notions that I had about Buddhists were uninformed and downright prejudiced at times. I've since had the opportunity to learn more about them , their philosophy, and their way of life. I'm not planning to run off and join a monastery anytime soon, but I have learned a great deal by keeping an open mind. I haven't met too many Muslims here yet, but my apartment is within shouting distance from the local mosque. By shouting, I am referring to the "call to prayer" that comes blasting through my window five times a day from the loudspeakers in the minaret. The first one comes about 5:30 in the morning and the last can be heard just after sundown. Around here, we jokingly call it waking up with the Mullah. All kidding aside, the people who run my apartment building are Muslim, and have proven to be the kindest, most understanding and generous landlords I have ever had. I've had a few brief conversations with them about Islam. They are true Muslims, and are seriously concerned about the more radical minority sects that give the mainstream majority a negative image.

That's all for now from this side of the planet. I hope everyone is well, and for what it's worth, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment