Thursday, July 7, 2011

Updates July 07, 2011

Not too much that I can report today. Internet access is getting harder and harder to find here in this neighborhood. There have been some things going down behind the scenes, but nothing directly related to my own case. I've got about six days now before my next court appearance. My understanding is that it will be my time to appear before the court and officially enter my "guilty" or "not guilty" plea. I have been advised to enter a guilty plea on the work permit violation and hope for a light sentence. If I fight it and lose, then I can expect them to throw the whole book at me. The outcome if it were to go to trial is still unknown, but without any legal representation my chances are quite slim.

Entering a guilty plea on the 13th will send me directly to sentencing on the same day. I will have to serve what ever time I am given and pay any fines. Once those are completed, I will be handed over to the immigration department and I start the whole process with them while under lock and key. They will be wanting to collect a sizable amount of cash in fines for the overstay of my visa, and then will want me to come up with a plane ticket out of the country so they can deport me. I don't have that kind of money, so they will probably just have to keep me in IDC (immigration detention) indefinitely. I have thought a great deal about that outcome, and have somewhat come to grips with it. Nothing more I can do at this point.

I have also thought a lot recently about my experiences over the last 2 years. When I came here, I was on death's door and just begging for somebody to put me out of my misery. Since then, I have been through a great many changes. I've fought tooth and nail to survive here any way I can and endured hardships that I never even thought possible. I do still think it's a bit ironic that after two years I was finally getting back on my feet and now this whole mess happens. In the end, I suppose I should be thankful. It's been an unreal and incredible journey that gave me two more years on this earth when my days were clearly numbered at the start.

Many thanks go out to all who have helped me along the way. I couldn't have done it without you. If it had not been for a select few friends from countries across the world, I would certainly not have survived. For that I am thankful. You all know who you are, and I'll never forget. It's nearly time to close the book on this chapter. The next is a mystery. I will try to get online to check email and make another post or two before the big day rolls around. Take care of yourselves out there.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment