Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Court Proceedings Today

Last night I managed to fall asleep by midnight and woke up promptly at 2:00 AM in a cold sweat. That was the extent of my night´s sleep as usual these days. This morning just before 9:00 AM, I made the dreaded walk up the Chaing Mai police station steps again. (photo left) My future, as always of late, was uncertain. I was unsure if this was going to be an official court appearance, just another procedural formality, or a trip to the “monkey house”.

Turns out it was a procedural visit. My case has officially been handed over to the court system, and the police needed to release my bail so that I can be bailed out again under the court system and not the police. A rather ridiculous procedure, but it took most of the day.

First, it was the paperwork shuffle at the police station. A meeting with the “good lieutenant” was my first stop. Then it was to the bail office to authorize the release of my bail. Next it was upstairs and the accountant to get the actual bail check. This process went around in a circle for the next hour or so. Back and forth, up and down the stairs until everybody had all the forms filled, stamped, signed, and what not.

The next part was going to be a little more tricky. Everything (including myself) was to be transferred to the courthouse near the town of Mae Rim. I was ushered out the side door and shown to my ride. A beat up diesel pick up truck with a steel cage on the back. It was already crammed pretty full with Burmese refugees. Thankfully, the court officer (aka “guy in white T-shirt”) was easily convinced to allow me to follow the truck on motorcycle with a friend. Once he saw that I had already been out on bail for 2 months, he allowed it. However, he did carry the bail check with him as assurance.

After arriving at the Mae Rim courthouse, the paper shuffle started again. This time it went much quicker. The courts accepted the paperwork, and issued me a little blue card with my next date of appearance. I was all the way back out into the parking lot when “white T-shirt guy” came running after me. I thought to myself “UH-OH, that was just too easy.” Seems that the police station didn´t address the check properly, and it needed to be changed. Surprisingly enough, he handed me the check and asked me to take it back to Chiang Mai and get it fixed. Oh, believe me, my imagination ran wild but I did the right thing and made the trip to the city and back with the check.

By the end of the day, the court “officially” accepted the bail money, and I was on my way back to Chiang Mai. Today was certainly a struggle with procedural and language issues. I made it through, but this is still only the tip of the iceberg. I have come to realize that I am horribly inadequate and ill prepared. People keep asking me who my attorney is. When I tell them I don´t have one, the response is always the same. “Are you crazy???!!!”. No, not crazy, just out of options. I can either pay an attorney now or pay my fines later. Neither of which I have enough savings for yet and I will still be looking at considerable prison time either way.

I have a much better idea now of how this will play out. Most of this is however very sensitive information regarding myself and those around me. I will be releasing it in several password encrypted posts over the next few days. Many things have come to light today, and I´m feeling pretty down at the moment. Maybe an hour or two of sleep tonight will do me some good.

No comments:

Post a Comment