Monday, April 4, 2011

Another day of Freedom

I am completely exuasted and my nerves are fried, but at the end of the day, I am still a free man for the time being. Through what I have learned in the past week, I managed (with the help of some friends) to stay out on my own recognizance even though it is only temporary. Upon arrival this morning was immediately ushered to the rear of the police station, and back through the steel cage into the cess pool they call a holding cell. I feared the worst, but after asking some questions I was told that it was just stardard procedure for ¨checking in¨ at the station before a hearing. I was photographed and fingerprinted (again) to verify that I was still the same guy I was last week, and then met briefly with the chief investigator on my case. He told me that they were still waiting on paperwork, took my phone number and told me he would call me with a time and date for the next hearing.

This is something completely unheard of for a person in my rather awkward and difficult position. Everyone I know from locals to foreigners are stunned that they allowed me bail in the first place, much less allow me to walk the streets (as an illegal immigrant) on the promise of a phone call to return for the next date. It could be tomorrow, and it could be next week. Somehow, by the grace of God, blessing of Buddha, or just blind luck I am able to enjoy at least another 24 hours in the open air and sunshine.

More tomorrow. I´m going to try and catch up on all the sleep I missed last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment