Saturday, April 2, 2011

Updates and Random Thoughts April 2, 2011

It´s been a busy, but less than productive day as I made my way around, but things continue to come together. As far as court goes, I have found a funny little loophole that I might be able to use. The Thai police are holding my passport at the moment, but it was the only way I could get out on bail. The charges of overstaying my Visa are pretty cut and dried. Normal procedure for this crime is immediate detention and deportation. Please keep in mind that foreigners are required to pay for their own deportation or serve jail time until they can afford to pay. Not a pretty picture for me. However, Thai law says that a person cannot be deported or jailed for deportation as long as another case is still pending in the court. This is where my charge of working without a permit comes in. As long as the prosecution proceeds with the working violation case, then I can stay out on bond and continue to work on my case. If they drop the work permit violation, then they will send me out of the courtroom in shackles to start serving a very long sentence. My plan is to protest that they proceed with the charges on the work permit so I can see justice. My only other option is to commit another crime of some sort and then post bail again, but I really don´t like that idea.

Time to answer the ¨hot topic¨ question of the day. Many people have asked me this, and I thought it was time to address it.

Question: Why don´t you just come home to the U.S.???

Answer: Many reasons, but I will try my best to explain them. First of all, as I stated many times before, this country (Thailand) doesn´t just put you on a plane and send you back home if things go wrong. You go to jail for a long time and then pay a huge fine, and the pay your own way back to whatever country you came from. Secondly and more importantly, I have a deep appreciation for the people and culture of this country. When I came here nearly two years ago, I was on death´s door. My health was failing, my mind and spirit was a mess, and I was moments away from putting a gun to my head and pulling the trigger. It has been a long battle pulling myself back up from that place in my life, but I have done it thanks to the many friends I have made here. They have showed me a new way of life and thinking that has been so good for me. Even at 37 years old, I am now in the best physical condition of my entire life. I can do and have done things that I would not have even imagined doing when I was in my 20´s. More importantly, my mind is finaly getting clear of all the things that have been holding me back for so long. These are the reasons why I fight to stay here and continue to rebuild my life. I realize that many people back home may not understand, but I can accept that. I just hope to express my thoughts on the issue, take it or leave it.

All the best from the Kingdom of Thailand,
Matt
Take care everyone. 24 hours to go, and I am at peace with whatever happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment