Monday, April 11, 2011

Waiting for the Call

I´m getting alot of people asking what my status is right now. To be perfectly honest, I really don´t know. I´m still waiting on the call for my next court appearance. I´m kind of dangling by a thread knowing that at any time they give me a one way ticket to immigration detention to start what will most likely be the longest and most difficult part of my journey so far. It´s almost like standing in front of a firing squad only they can´t quite seem to decide on what bullets to use, and then they all go on vacation leaving you tied to the post.

The other question I get alot is ¨aren´t you scared???¨. Well, I stopped panicking about life over a year ago when I was living here on the streets. If I didn´t make any money during the day, I had to wander the streets all night arguing with street dogs and prostitutes over half eaten plates of food in garbage cans. After that I´d sleep on a concrete bench in the relative safety of the morning sun for a few hours before going back out to look for work. It may sound extreme to some, but that was only the ¨tip of the iceberg¨ when it comes to what I´ve been through and endured here. Someday it will make a great book, but I have to live through it first.

I´ve been doing some math here again lately trying to figure out what I´m looking at. So far through savings, hard work, and a few generous gifts (thank you all) I have managed to put together about 20% of what It will take to keep me from starving in a third world prison and get me back to legal working status. Ironically enough, I have to keep working illegally while out on bail in order to make money for my penalty for working illegally. Everyday is a gamble. Going out to work gets me about $10 a day, but I risk breaking my bail agreement and receiving additional charges and fines that are thousands of times greater than my wage for the day. I just get up every morning, hope for the best and then do my best (albeit very quietly).

The Songkran (New Year) festival is getting into full swing. I made my way on foot to the market and do the daily drinking water run today, and only got assaulted twice with squirt guns. Tomorrow will be a different story as the whole thing officially starts. That´s all for now, I´m going to do my best to stay dry and out from behind bars during the festivities here. Hey, at least if I were in jail, I could avoid the water war going on outside. Joking of course, but I found it to be a funny thought.

Take care everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment